BUYER ALERT: Some fiberglass pools are being made with Chinese or other foreign raw materials!
I believe that most of us in the USA think that all fiberglass pools are made alike. I have to say that you who believe this are wrong. During the last few years the fiberglass reinforced product (FRP) industry has been flooded with foreign, especially Chinese materials. We at American Fiberglass Pools are pleased to say that we use ONLY USA manufactured raw materials. To some of us, the slogan “Buy American” may sound like nothing more than an idea being advanced by American manufacturers to sell products made here in the USA. The real truth is there is a myriad of reasons that you should consider purchasing a fiberglass pool that is made with American raw materials and American labor. To follow are just a few reasons.
1. The materials made overseas more often than not do not meet, much less exceed, USA standards. Chinese fiberglass, in particular, is erratic in its specifications and is stiff, making it hard to roll out flat on the surface of a mold. American Fiberglass Pools has actually put the Chinese material thru extensive 3rd party lab testing and have found that the “lay up” process (aka putting the material on a pool manufacturing mold) for this material is at best difficult to work with and takes up to 35% more resin to utilize than American made material. This is due to the fiberglass being too thick and too thin throughout the sheets applied to a mold. This will actually increase the resin cost and the labor cost during the manufacturing of a fiberglass swimming pool.
2. CHINESE fiberglass has also been found to be too rigid. Fiberglass pools are widely praised for having flexural strength that makes them a superior pool to have in expansive soil conditions. Building a pool that is too rigid can remove some or even all of that flexural quality a fiberglass pool is supposed to have. Oh yes, that material made in China is less expensive than American Fiberglass, as much as 25-30% in some cases, but what is the cost to the lives of Americans looking for jobs here?
3. By purchasing products made in other countries, these other fiberglass pool manufacturers are undermining the concept of “free & fair trade”. The USA cannot ultimately compete on price when other countries are willing to massively exploit and pollute their own populance. When you buy ONLY AMERICAN MADE products you are promoting and insisting on a higher standard of products. Besides, why would you want to shift American money to countries that are truly not friends with the USA or democracy?
4. The lack of the USA’s ability to manufacture many products is strategically unsound. When you seek out fiberglass pools made only with American made materials, you foster American independence from the rest of the world!
5. American made products promote JOBS here in the USA. Let’s face it, any jobs shipped abroad almost never return. When you purchase an American Fiberglass pool, you are helping to keep our economy growing.
6. It is a domino effect when you buy products like American Fiberglass Pools that are made only using American made products, that money you spend stays here in the USA where it belongs! That money goes to pay the wages of many people that are directly and indirectly responsible for creating American Fiberglass Pools. Each of those individuals spend that money on other American made goods, services, and the cycle continues. By the purchase of an American Fiberglass Pool, the more you stimulate the economy and the more American jobs are created. Speaking a bit about taxes, American workers pay taxes on wages earned in the USA.
7. Lastly, purchasing an American Fiberglass Pool, made solely with American made products you are creating MORE JOBS. Statistically, for every manufacturing job there are FIVE additional jobs created. So you do the math. Dollar for dollar it is a great investment in our amazing homeland!
In closing, there are some fiberglass pool manufacturers using Australian gelcoats, Mexican resins and such. American Fiberglass Pools has always used only American made products since our doors opened up almost 42 years ago. We are proud of our beautiful, affordable, VERY LOW maintenance American Fiberglass Pools, proud of our close to sixty employees, and most of all, proud to be American.
Your thought would be appreciated below.