WHAT KIND OF WATER FEATURES CAN BE INSTALLED WITH FIBERGLASS POOLS?
Have you always wanted an elegant, serene, edenesque type of setting in your backyard? Or is an oasis like lagoonish setting more to your liking? Water features as described above and other design embellishments are a perfect way to fully integrate your pool into a “total design concept”. Water features can be natural looking or modern looking and can be large or small. All of them are intended to provide a relaxing or intimate environment. To follow are a few types of popular water features.
1. NATURAL STONE – This type of waterfall is priced by the “ton” which is the weight of the rocks being used for construction. Probably the most common type of waterfall installed. Usually the stone selected is a moss rock variety. Moss rock is available in many color variations. Typically you will find a lot of different sized and shaped stones to add to the natural appearance. Most residential pool owners select 2-3 ton waterfalls.
2. WATER SHEERS – Water sheers are available in many lengths ranging from 1’ – 4’ long. they can be utilized by installing just above the waterline or by constructing a raised wall adjacent to the pool. Often times pool buyers select to have multiple water sheers installed. If a raised wall for the water sheers is constructed, the façade of the wall can be tiled, stoned, or covered with an overlay material that can also be installed on the pool deck.
3. WATER WALLS OR WEEPING WALLS – These types of water features require the construction of a raised wall adjacent to the pool. The idea is to have just a trickle of water rather than sheets of water or water falling over multiple levels of rock. These are a nice addition to any pool, but out of all options, the least dramatic.
4. MISTERS – They may be called by several names but all work for the purpose of spraying a mist of water over the pool surface. As that mist falls back into the pool, the air cools the temperature of the water. This is a rather nice effect when the 90-100 degree temperatures arrive. The mister heads are located on the pool walls just above the water level in the pool.
5. DECK JETS OR WATER ARCHS – These are pretty dramatic looking feature in any size pool. The jets are adjustable and with the addition of LED or fiber optic lights, the WOW factor is very high! These can be pricy but if you’re into adding a drop dead drama effect to your night time pool look, this is it.
Now a few tips for water feature construction.
a. Make sure the pool deck is capable of supporting the water feature weight. This may require additional steel reinforcement of the deck and a thicker concrete pour at the water feature location.
b. Always pressure test the piping to the water feature prior to pouring concrete. It can be quite a chore finding and repairing a leak if it entails having to remove concrete to do so.
c. Determine early in the pool design process exactly what you expect from a water feature. Do you want lots of noise, a more serene sound, or is a trickle just right for your relaxation level?
Let me know which one is right for you. We will be happy to send you lots of pics of each of these water features.